March 11, 2019 SUBSCRIBE
- The Weekly Pulse for Sunday, March 10, 2019 In this episode: (1) Global #financialliteracy, (2) U.S. Credit Card debt highest it has ever been, (3) the Internal Revenue Service re-evaluates its decision on #pension Lump Sum Distribution windows, (4) Amazon ends its pop-up stores, but moves forward in #healthcare, (5) Job numbers are below expectations; what is #investor sentiment?, (6) a 24-year old has a saving rate that has her on the path to $100k by the time she is 25 and (7) gender bias in investing and financial advice. This week’s special guest is Annamaria Lusardi, Global Financial Literacy Excellence Center (GFLEC).
TOP SOCIAL MEDIA TRENDS
- U.S. Credit Card Debt the Highest Ever
- The Fastest Growing Jobs in the U.S.
- It’s Not About Silicon Valley Anymore
PERSONAL FINANCE, FINANCIAL WELLNESS & FINANCIAL LITERACY
- A retirement crisis in the US? Maybe not ; EBRI model projects decrease in America’s retirement deficit
- Where to retire? Baby boomers have to ‘get past the fantasies’ ; Does the ‘4% rule’ for retirement work if you retire early?
- The average American forgoes nearly $2000 in interest via low-yield savings accounts
- Financial planning, economic vibrancy program for students launched
- Long-Term Investors Deserve More Than Quarterly Forecasts
- Advisers can — and must — help improve financial literacy in America ; Financial education talking point for educators
- HSBC just set out how hard it is for robo-advisers to break even and says a wave of consolidation is inevitable
- Tax refunds are major boosts to savings for US households
- Wells Fargo settles charges of improper sales practices
- Arizona Annuity Law Passes Senate One Month After Being Introduced
HEALTHCARE & WELLNESS
- Digital healthcare apps are in rude health
- Grassley: ‘Secrecy’ on high drug prices must end
- When a spouse dies, who has to pay the medical bills?
- Medicare trims payments to 800 hospitals, citing patient safety incidents
- Facebook to Take Harsher Action Against Anti-Vaccine Content
- Bezos, Buffett and Dimon name their health care effort
- Finland’s government resigns after healthcare reform fails
TECH & SOCIAL MEDIA
- Senators will grill Equifax and Marriott executives about two of the biggest data breaches in history
- Business Leaders Love AI. That Doesn’t Mean They Use It.
- Focus in the streaming wars turns to Disney vs Netflix
- Amazon Said to Team Up With Yankees in Bid for YES Network
- Elizabeth Warren wants to break up Google, Amazon, and Facebook
- Why are financial advisers shying away from technology?
401k, 403b, 457b, NONQUALIFIED, STATE-RUN PLANS & LITIGATION
- Departing employees who stay in DC plan for at least a year not likely to leave
- Adding illiquid investments to DC plans creates challenges for sponsors
- How to Choose: 24 Different Designations for 401k Advisors?
- Pairing 401(k) and student loan benefits gains more traction
- The Debt Ceiling and the G Fund: Here We Go Again
- 401(k) Investors Could Pay Tax Aimed At Wall Street Traders
- Safeway Workers Can Use Expert to Challenge 401(k) Plan Fees
- 2019 make or break for FERS retirement benefits
- ‘California Rule’ for Pensions Reaffirmed by High Court
- Why does ‘fixing’ Michigan pensions stick it to workers?
- Rhode Island State Pension May Never Be Able To Exit Gina Raimondo Loser
- Bills would give Texas retired teachers an additional check, shore up pension system
- Pentagon may tap military pay, pensions for border wall
- House panel hears ideas for solving ‘urgent’ multiemployer crisis ; US Companies Get Green Light on Controversial Pension Payouts
- City worker gets $2M in sexual harassment suit — but her boss gets to retire
- Trump Treasury Backtracks On Lump-Sum Pension Rules Meant To Protect Retirees
- Battle lines form over Puerto Rico pension cuts
- UK Corporate Pension Funded Levels Rise in February
- New lower life expectancy figures trim £20bn off DB liabilities
- DC schemes to lead ‘disruption’ of financial services
- Investment fees to fall ‘considerably’
- There is an alternative to the pensions time bomb
- SSS plans actuarial study on second pension hike
- Retirement annuities are not the only option
- Week ahead: Brexit vote, US economy, Tesla Model YDow Carnage: US Stock Market Plunges as Recession Warnings Intensify ; Bonds are sending a bullish signal to the stock market
- US Small-Business Job Creation Is at Record But Hiring Plans Drop
- Fed’s Williams says interest rates are at ‘neutral’ now ; The World Presumes Central Bankers Get It. They Don’t.
- US Household Net Worth Collapses by Nearly $4 Trillion
- Weak US Domestic Growth Needed To Push Gold To $1400
- Oil Slides on Economy Fears, Stuck in Tightest Range Since 2017
- A ‘risk-on’ environment is developing, supporting US stocks
- European Central Bank injects more stimulus, slashes forecasts
- EU agrees to sustainable investment disclosure framework
- Sovereign-Wealth Funds Were Canny Buyers of Stock Late Last Year
- Soft Brexit? Hard Brexit? How About Endless Brexit? ; Americans need to care about Brexit: What to know
- ESMA finds leverage, liquidity risks in the alt funds sector
- Hedge Funds Gain in February for Strongest Start Since 2012
- China Is Mulling Tougher Rules on Private Equity, Hedge Funds
- What Private Equity Investors Get Wrong ; Are Private Equity Firms Inflating Their Returns?
- Is Strategic Beta Too Smart for Its Own Good?
- Cryptoassets lure ‘get rich quick’ investors, says regulator ; The US arrests alleged leader of $3.7 billion cryptocurrency pyramid scheme ; North Korea’s military has stolen more than half a billion dollars in cryptocurrency
- Yale Boosts Venture Capital to Almost a Fifth of Its Endowment
- Despite Brexit, infrastructure investors still believe in the UK
- Will We See an Uptick in REIT IPOs in 2019?
ABOUT THE FOUNDER
Jeffrey H. Snyder is the Creator and Founder of The Morning Pulse, Inc. Considered an “industry insider”, thought-leader and an independent voice, he has appeared in both television and print discussing the issues related to retirement and the capital markets. He also is the creator, producer and host of the The Weekly Pulse podcast and TV show, as well as the original series Roads2Retirement.
ABOUT THE MORNING PULSE
Founded in 2012, The Morning Pulse, Inc. is an award-winning digital technology, media company and consulting firm focused on aggregating, organizing and delivering retirement and financial services industry information daily and weekly. Over 200,000 industry professionals, private and public sector executives and government officials have come to trust The Morning Pulse for timely delivery of important and relevant news and content.