The Weekly Pulse Podcast for Sunday, August 11, 2019
In this episode: (1) Suburban Jungle’s Founder and President Alison Bernstein discusses #realestate trends – both #urban and #suburban including #resizing, #downsizing and #relocating (2) the concept of JOMO (Joy of Missing Out), (3) 31% of women now out-earn their partners, (4) Uber loses $5 billion and Amazon and Fed Ex break-up, (5) market volatility continues – but what about bonds?, and (6) the rule-making “shot clock” – is time running out for any new retirement plan rules from the DOL? Are there any work-arounds?
TOP SOCIAL MEDIA TRENDS
- More Women Out Earn Their Partners
- Do you need a side hustle?
- The city is attracting all the workers
PERSONAL FINANCE, FINANCIAL WELLNESS, ANNUITIES, TAXES & FINANCIAL LITERACY
- Generation X Faces Tough Finances in Sandwich Years
- Who’s Helped By Federal Interest Rates Cut? Start With Millennials ; The overspending millennial: How to overcome your FOMO ; Got FOMO? Americans Spend More in Summer
- IRS delivers ‘game changer’ for fee-based annuities ; Annuity Suitability Working Group Tries to Get Out of the Parking Lot
- How Financial Services Companies Can Better Serve Millennials ; Does Financial Wellness Even Work?
- Estimating Your Retirement Income ; Spending safely in retirement: Why it is important
- Economics for Educators Institute prepares educators to teach financial literacy ; The number of older Americans filing for bankruptcy has surged by up to 300%
- 84% of borrowers say student loans are tanking their retirement savings
- Is Your Local Real Estate Market On The Rise? Eight Signs To Watch For ; Should I refinance my mortgage while rates are low?
- Finra Panel Rules Against Schwab
- Warning donors about possible charitable donation scams
HEALTHCARE & WELLNESS
- 50 years ago healthcare was a gig economy leader. So, what happened?
- CEOs willing to pay millions to secure cybersecurity talent ; What are the cybersecurity challenges facing the healthcare sector?
- New fears about drug prices ; Where Tourism Brings Pricey Health Care, Locals Fight Back
- Your Apple Watch Could Soon Detect Early Signs of Dementia
- Wearable devices and the revolution of cardiology via continuous care, remote monitoring
- The Economics Of Biologic Drugs: A Further Response To Bach et al.
- Largest health system investors in hedge funds, 2019
TECH, MEDIA & SOCIAL MEDIA
- New York Fire Department warns 10000 patients about potential data breach ; Credit Card Data Breaches: How to Handle Them ; IBM-Ponemon Study Highlights Rising Cost of a Data Breach
- The Black Hat cybersecurity conference app has a cybersecurity problem ; Turns out your office printer is a huge cybersecurity risk
- Not All Robocall Blocking Apps on Your iPhone Can be Trusted
- Roku users surge past 30 million ; Tiny Roku Fends Off Amazon and Thrives by Selling Ads
- Amazon investigating claims its Chinese supplier used illegal child labor to make Alexa devices
401k, 403b, 457b, NONQUALIFIED, STATE-RUN PLANS & LITIGATION
- Privacy: The Next Retirement Plan Frontier
- What Is the Most Accurate Participation Rate for Retirement Plans?
- Trading in 401(k)s spiked in trade-dispute-fueled market swoon
- Vendor Fees: The Importance Of RFPs ; Report Says Rocky Road Ahead for Recordkeepers
- Texas 403(b) law causes adviser concern over investor protection ; Kaleida Health ERISA lawsuit can proceed, judge rules ; Feds mulling involvement in CalSavers lawsuit
- Pension Agency Paints Grim Picture for Multiemployer Pension Program ; Retired Teamsters wait for Congress to act on wobbly pension fund
- Underfunded Public Pensions Put Future Taxpayers on the Hook ; NIRS: No money saved for 4 states that shifted to DC from DB plans ; Lower Interest Rates Continue to Plague DB Plan Funded Status
- NM pensions could see sweeping changes
- The MTA wants to pull pensions from LIRR overtime abusers
- Bills would adjust michigan pension plans
- Alabama Pension Funds Star in IPic Theater Bankruptcy
- Public employees file suit to overturn lawmakers’ pension changes
- NYC Pension Funds Beats Target, Returns 7.24% in 2019
- Oklahoma Police reports 4.24% return for fiscal year
- With California’s Public Pensions, Nothing Exceeds Like Excess
- Sweeney Supports Ban on Public Pension Investments in Gun Industry
- Unions approve new contract that averts strike at GE Healthcare
- Pastor Triumphs Over Pa. Church Congregants’ ERISA Suit
- Removing the ‘motherhood penalty’ from pensions
- Brazil pension reform debate expected to widen in Senate
- Denmark Hits Pensions With Tax Fraud Claims In $2B Row
- Canadian Defined Benefit Pension Plans Post Modest Gains In Q2 2019
- Household savings rate in SA actually zero
- Wholesale inflation dead in the water, PPI shows ; Consumer Confidence Drops Most in 10 Months ; US Recession Odds Climb as Economists Cut Growth Estimates
- US yield curve sends strongest recession warning since 2007 ; The Non-Weirdness of Negative Interest Rates ; Explaining the ‘New Normal’ for Interest Rates
- Bitcoin and Gold Are Monuments To Irrationality
- Oil Rebounds From Near 2019 Lows ; US natural gas demand is at a record – and prices keep dropping ; Gasoline prices are down another five cents a gallon
- Japan’s GDP thumps forecasts on robust consumer, business sectors
- China Goes Big on Commodities Purchase Amid Shifting Trade War
- UK Economy Shrinks as Brexit Uncertainty Soars
- Advisers may not be equipped to help clients navigate private markets
- A $30 Billion Exodus Puts Hedge Funds for the Masses to the Test ; Hedge Fund Managers With ‘Skin in the Game’ Outperform —But They’re Also Less Likely to Take Your Money
- Debt deals dress up unusual private equity assets ; Young Turks: Experts look into private equity deal challenges ; CalPERS considers board confidentiality rules ahead of private equity rollout
- Why do Crypto-Related Surveys in the US Paint Different Pictures? ; Congress takes an interest in cryptocurrency — what could possibly go wrong? ; More States Add Cryptocurrency Twist to Marketplace Sales Tax Laws; Serious Security Warning Issued For World’s Biggest Bitcoin And Crypto Exchange, Binance
ABOUT THE FOUNDER
Jeffrey H. Snyder is the Creator and Founder of The Morning Pulse, Inc. Considered an “industry insider”, thought-leader and an independent voice, he has appeared in both television and print discussing the issues related to retirement and the capital markets. He also is the creator, producer and host of the The Weekly Pulse podcast and TV show, as well as the original series Roads2Retirement.
ABOUT THE MORNING PULSE
Founded in 2012, The Morning Pulse, Inc. is an award-winning digital technology, media company and consulting firm focused on aggregating, organizing and delivering retirement and financial services industry information daily and weekly. Over 500,000, individuals, industry professionals, private and public sector executives, and government officials have come to trust The Morning Pulse for timely delivery of important and relevant news and content.